Whether you appreciate winter or desire the warmer months in Mount Hope, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a large impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The professionals at Appalachian Heating can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Appalachian Heating in Mount Hope a call to get started. Give us a shout at 304-707-0600 or book an appointment with us online.