On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name a handful—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Appalachian Heating in Beckley and Mount Hope about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the amount of time between expert cleanings.
Mostly importantly, setup routine HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Appalachian Heating. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Appalachian Heating about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not need replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that permit dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Beckley and Mount Hope home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Appalachian Heating a call at 304-707-0600.